From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Versions
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 01:56:19
1 On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 8:49 PM, Jamie Dobbs<jamie.gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > After a year or so away from Gentoo I'm looking at setting up a server
3 > machine at home with Gentoo on it.
4 >
5 > I now see that there are more regularly released CD images to install from.
6 > I take it that the 'old' install documentation covered in the Handbook at
7 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/ still applies
8 >
9 > Sorry for the silly questions but I just want to ensure that I start up on
10 > the right foot to go back to Gentoo and my Ubuntu boxes network performance
11 > is atrocious and I want to move back to Gentoo and get some speed back. The
12 > Gentoo box will simply be there running as a NAS sharing disk via. AFP for
13 > my iMac (and some SMB for the old XBox) - so if there are any pointers on
14 > how to get the best network performance from my machine that would ve
15 > appreciated too. Machine is an Athlon XP3200 X2 , w 2GB memory and a PCI
16 > Realtek gigabit NIC
19 Basically, nothing much has changed in the last year or so other than,
20 as you have already noticed, the install CDs are generated autobuilds
21 every week. Just grab the latest, or use any other LiveCD that
22 supports your hardware, and the install guide should be good. Have
23 fun!