From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32GB RAM and Swap
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 09:31:28
1 On Saturday, 2 May 2020 09:53:06 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Wols Lists wrote:
3 > > On 01/05/20 21:29, Dale wrote:
4 > >> It gets really slow to respond when it uses swap but it beats crashing.
5 > >> Just set swapiness to a low number. I think mine is set to 10.
6 > >>
7 > >> Given the cheapness of hard drives, I'm not sure why having several
8 > >> gigabytes of swap space is of much concern. I have the same amount of
9 > >> ram as you and I have a 12GB swap space. I use LVM so I can grow it if
10 > >> needed or just add another swap space. I might add, I've seen times
11 > >> where it gets used.
12 > >
13 > > That first paragraph is why too much swap space is bad - if an app goes
14 > > rogue it can kill system response and make regaining control of the
15 > > system a nightmare.
16 > >
17 > > Accidentally or on purpose, if a system runs out of ram and starts
18 > > thrashing, you're in big trouble if it's an app eating memory like no
19 > > tomorrow.
20 > >
21 > > Cheers,
22 > > Wol
23 > >
24 > > .
25 >
26 > That's why I set swapiness to a low number. I don't want it to use swap
27 > unless it is to prevent a crash. If I set it to a higher number, it
28 > wants to use swap even when there is memory available. Once it starts
29 > using swap, it gets slow. The more it uses, the worse it gets.
30 > However, it beats it rebooting without umounting partitions and such.
31 > If nothing else, it may give me time to use the alt-sys sequence.
32 >
33 > I'm maxed out on memory at the moment but wish I could get and afford
34 > 64GBs, in a way. Still, I'd have a swap partition.
35 >
36 > Dale
37 >
39
40 I'd be interested to know as a comparison if Nikos' and Dale's I/O
41 unresponsiveness in swapping sees an improvement with the I/O scheduler for
42 spinning drives set to bfq; e.g.:
43
44 echo bfq > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler