From: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bandwidth monitor on per service/program basis
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 22:12:53
1 On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Stuart Howard wrote:
2
3 > I am looking to find a tool that will allow me to monitor which
4 > applications or services are utilising my network and hence bandwidth.
5 > Now I have found loads of useful tools that can offer me representations
6 > of the interface but little that breaks it down on a time basis and per
7 > program basis.
8 > If anyone has a suggestion of a ready built application it will be welcome,
9 > prefer it to be console based for ssh [with a nice gui at home, if I am being
10 > greedy ].
11
12 Most network tools know about ports and protocols so "per program basis"
13 may not be possible. However, you can monitor protocols using something
14 like iptraf or ntop (web-based). A quick look in
15 /usr/portage/net-analyzer/ will give you an idea of what's available.
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list