From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DHCP-based eth0 startup failure.
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 07:06:08
1 On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 17:22 -0400, dnebinger@××××.com wrote:
2 > Hey, all. Suffered power outtage yesterday. Not much of a big deal as the
3 > ups brought the system down on battery...
4 >
5 > That's the good news. The bad news is that, upon system boot, my dhcp-based
6 > eth0 interface no longer comes up and I don't know why...
7 >
8 > When the init script is run it reports that it is bringing the card up in
9 > DHCP and that it is calling dhclient. At that point, however, the startup
10 > shows the [!!] indicating a failure occurred but I have no real details why.
11 >
12 > The only thing in the system log is a message from dhclient:
13 > receive_packet failed on eth0: Network is down.
14
15 I suspect dhclient's pid was still around and you need to manually
16 kill/zap it before it will restart itself.
17
18 I believe also that if you were to restart your PC/server now, all will
19 be oK
22 Ow Mun Heng
23 Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz 1.5GB RAM
24 98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
25 Neuromancer 15:00:59 up 4 days, 22:57, 7 users, load average: 1.44,
26 1.23, 1.62
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list