From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] external storage
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2018 10:58:11
1 On Wednesday, 3 October 2018 07:24:52 BST John Covici wrote:
2 > On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 01:13:34 -0400,
3 >
4 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 > > On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:30:12 AM CEST Davyd McColl wrote:
6 > > > Most newer external storage devices come formatted with ntfs these days,
7 > > > so
8 > > > if you just want to plug-and-play, I suggest installing ntfs-3g. File
9 > > > managers like dolphin and desktop environments like KDE will notice the
10 > > > device and allow you to mount and use them.
11 > > >
12 > > > Be aware, though, that ntfs-3g, whilst being an excellent bit of
13 > > > software
14 > > > (imo), is not the fastest way to access those disks. If you have no need
16 > > > move the disk to another computer or if you only plan on moving between
17 > > > Linux computers, I suggest formatting with a native filesystem like
18 > > > ext4.
19 > > > Personally, I use ntfs-3g for my 4 large external disks so that I can
20 > > > access them when I infrequently dual-boot to windows of on the
21 > > > off-chance
22 > > > that I would like to lend the drive to someone. I accept the performance
23 > > > penalty.
24 > > >
25 > > > -d
26 > > >