From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] external storage
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2018 06:25:44
1 On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 01:13:34 -0400,
2 J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >
4 > On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:30:12 AM CEST Davyd McColl wrote:
5 > > Most newer external storage devices come formatted with ntfs these days, so
6 > > if you just want to plug-and-play, I suggest installing ntfs-3g. File
7 > > managers like dolphin and desktop environments like KDE will notice the
8 > > device and allow you to mount and use them.
9 > >
10 > > Be aware, though, that ntfs-3g, whilst being an excellent bit of software
11 > > (imo), is not the fastest way to access those disks. If you have no need to
12 > > move the disk to another computer or if you only plan on moving between
13 > > Linux computers, I suggest formatting with a native filesystem like ext4.
14 > > Personally, I use ntfs-3g for my 4 large external disks so that I can
15 > > access them when I infrequently dual-boot to windows of on the off-chance
16 > > that I would like to lend the drive to someone. I accept the performance
17 > > penalty.
18 > >
19 > > -d
20 > >