From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] external storage
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2018 05:13:47
1 On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:30:12 AM CEST Davyd McColl wrote:
2 > Most newer external storage devices come formatted with ntfs these days, so
3 > if you just want to plug-and-play, I suggest installing ntfs-3g. File
4 > managers like dolphin and desktop environments like KDE will notice the
5 > device and allow you to mount and use them.
6 >
7 > Be aware, though, that ntfs-3g, whilst being an excellent bit of software
8 > (imo), is not the fastest way to access those disks. If you have no need to
9 > move the disk to another computer or if you only plan on moving between
10 > Linux computers, I suggest formatting with a native filesystem like ext4.
11 > Personally, I use ntfs-3g for my 4 large external disks so that I can
12 > access them when I infrequently dual-boot to windows of on the off-chance
13 > that I would like to lend the drive to someone. I accept the performance
14 > penalty.
15 >
16 > -d
17 >