From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommend a simple video editor?
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 04:44:02
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I've got a handful of mp4 video clips (a minute or two each). All I
3 > want to do is
4 >
5 > 1) Concatenate them with fade-in at beginning of each clip and fade-out
6 > at the end of each clip.
7 >
8 > 2) Superimpose a title at the beginning for a few seconds.
9 >
10 > Can anybody recomment a simple video editor?
13 > So far I've tried Openshot and Cinelerra and niether is usable even
14 > for my trivial task.
15 >
16 > Openshot 2.07
17 >
18 > The native amd64 build segfault a _lot_. Any time you try to move
19 > the "playback head" or whatever it's called it segfaults. Various
20 > other GUI operations also cause a segfault. Sometimes it gets the
21 > project file into some broken state and then can't even start up and
22 > load the project file without segfaulting.
23 >
24 > Oh, and it "auto saves" periodically, so you can't even rely on it
25 > not borking a working project file even though you never clicked
26 > "save".
27 >
28 > The AppImage binary at least allows the GUI to work, but it can't
29 > render a 5 minute video. It either aborts part-way through or just
30 > locks up burning 100% CPU until you send it a SIGKILL.
31 >
32 > I was finally able to set up the edits using the AppImage binary,
33 > then open the project using the native Gentoo binary and render the
34 > video. The resulting video quality was terrible. The video
35 > stuttered, pixellated, and in some spots even appeared to jump
36 > forward/backward repeatedly. That was with the highest quality
37 > setting (the output file size was acually significantly larger than
38 > the sum of the input file sizes). Even though the video quality was
39 > severly degraded.
42 > Cinelerra 2012 (stable).
43 >
44 > I used Cinelerra for a small project once before, and though it
45 > _worked_ I hated every second of it. The GUI is a nightmare. It
46 > uses some home-made widget set that I find incomprehensible.
47 >
48 > I could probably grit my teeth long enough for this simple task,
49 > except Cinelerra seems unable to deal with AAC audio. It
50 > misidentifies as some other PCM format, and all of the imported
51 > files just have a short burst of noise at the beginning followed by
52 > silence. Cinelerra also doesn't seem to be able to play the
53 > imported.mp4 video files at the proper framerate it's bog-standard
54 > Android phone video: H264 1280x720 30fps, but Cinelerra insists on
55 > playing at a some higher frame-rate.
56 >
57 > I may try Cinelerra 2014, but I'm not optimistic -- Cinelerra is known
58 > for it's slow rate of change.
62 Here is a couple more video editors that you may want to look into.
63
64 Kdenlive kde-apps/kdenlive
65
66 Avidemux media-video/avidemux
67
68 The first one is KDE based. Last time I used it, it was large but had
69 lots of fancy stuff it could do. The second one has both a gtk and qt
70 based version. I'm guessing that is controlled by USE flags. I seem to
71 have both of them here. :/
72
73 Maybe one of those will help.
74