From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Switching from eudev to udev, disaster.
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 06:18:36
1 On 2021-11-30, tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 2021-11-29 22:47-0600 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Now if I can figure out how to reset the list of /dev/sd* names that
5 >> are lurking about and inconsistent, that would be like striking gold.
6 >> Every time I hook up my external drive, it gets a different sd*
7 >> name.  It does the same on the SD cards from my trail cameras too but
8 >> I can auto mount those.
9 >
10 > I don't think it is possible to get consistent sd* names for removable
11 > media.
12
13 You can write udev rules that trigger on the manufacturer, model, and
14 serial numbers. You can then assign consistent symlinks or even mount
15 them in predictable locations in the udev rules. I don't remember if
16 you can change the actual sd* names themselves, but there's no real
17 need to do so.
18
19 > But you could use volume labels with `tune2fs -L` or `tune.exfat
20 > -L` or `fatlabel` and then mount them via /dev/disk/by-label/*.