From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ways to update portage
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:36:49
1 On Monday 13 February 2006 19:40, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > I have this server at work, it has been running ok for a long time,
3 > but I'd like to install some new apps to it, but I have a strongly
4 > configured firewall (no rsync) and emerge-webrsync seems to fail every
5 > time.
6 >
7 > Is there another way to update portage tree? For my first update I
8 > downloaded the snapshot and decompressed it directly to the filesystem
9 > (but that requires a reboot and its kinda "brute force"). Is there a
10 > way to download the snapshot and make emerge or even emerge-webrsync
11 > to use the downloaded file instead of trying to download a new one?
12
13 There is no reason to reboot after extracting a portage snapshot directly to
14 the filesystem. It's not brute force, it's just one of the possible ways to
15 update your package tree.
16 --
17 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list