From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:32:17
1 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 >> From: Dale [mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com]
3 >
4 >> Mike Edenfield wrote:
5 >
6 >>> I'm pretty sure that a stable Dracut is a prerequisite for a stable
7 >>> udev-182+. Hopefully with more people taking interest in using an
8 >>> initramfs it will stabilize quickly. It's working for me on all of the
9 >>> systems I'm tried it, so I'm going to try switching a couple of
10 >>> servers at work over to using it. But none of them have anything
11 >>> particularly complex (no net boots, for example) so I don't know how
12 >>> much of a test case they'll be :)
13 >
14 >> I'm still trying to figure out why my dracut init thingy isn't working right. If I
15 >> use the init thingy, I can't su to root from a user. If I don't use the init thingy,
16 >> I can su just fine. By the way, I boot the exact same kernel either way I boot.
17 >
18 > So, just to make sure I'm understanding you here (cuz it sounds kinda crazy)
19 >
20 > If you specify a dracut-created inittramfs in your grub.conf, your machine boots, but using 'su' to go from root -> non-root fails?
21 > If you remove the initrd line from grub.conf and boot the exact same kernel, 'su' works fine?
22 > What's the error? Cuz once the pivot_root step happens and the real init is running, things in user-space should be *exactly* the same as if you had no initramfs.
23 >
24 > --Mike
30 The other way around. When I boot using the init thingy, if I login as
31 a user, dale in this case, I can not su to root. I think the error was
32 something like authentication failed or something to that effect.
33
34 I can reboot the exact same kernel but omit the init part, everything
35 works fine. I even tried different kernels and it still does it.
36
37 The reason it is a issue for me is that I use Konsole within KDE to
38 emerge, edit config files and such. When I use the init thingy, none of
39 those work. I get a error about paths being wrong or incorrect
40 password. If I reboot without the init thingy, it works fine. I can't
41 find any difference other than the init thingy being used.
42
43 Weird, yea, but it sure doesn't work here. I found me another drive the
44 other day. May be trying Kubuntu here pretty soon. This udev and /usr
45 crap is just getting on my nerves. I don't have a lot of them left and
46 I need to save the few I do have. At least by using something else, I
47 don't have to fiddle with the crap and installs to fix things are a LOT
48 quicker. I mentioned this before but it is just getting closer and
49 closer. First time my system fails to boot because of this mess, it's
50 decision time.
51
52 Dale
53
57 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
58 how you interpreted my words!
59
60 Miss the compile output? Hint:
61 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"