From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:37:11
1 > From: Dale [mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com]
2
3 > Mike Edenfield wrote:
4
5 > > I'm pretty sure that a stable Dracut is a prerequisite for a stable
6 > > udev-182+. Hopefully with more people taking interest in using an
7 > > initramfs it will stabilize quickly. It's working for me on all of the
8 > > systems I'm tried it, so I'm going to try switching a couple of
9 > > servers at work over to using it. But none of them have anything
10 > > particularly complex (no net boots, for example) so I don't know how
11 > > much of a test case they'll be :)
12
13 > I'm still trying to figure out why my dracut init thingy isn't working right. If I
14 > use the init thingy, I can't su to root from a user. If I don't use the init thingy,
15 > I can su just fine. By the way, I boot the exact same kernel either way I boot.
16
17 So, just to make sure I'm understanding you here (cuz it sounds kinda crazy)
18
19 If you specify a dracut-created inittramfs in your grub.conf, your machine boots, but using 'su' to go from root -> non-root fails?
20 If you remove the initrd line from grub.conf and boot the exact same kernel, 'su' works fine?
21 What's the error? Cuz once the pivot_root step happens and the real init is running, things in user-space should be *exactly* the same as if you had no initramfs.
22
23 --Mike