From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bash wizardry needed: PATH and MANPATH grow and grow and grow
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 02:59:19
1 On 5/25/06, znx <znxster@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > > This _does_ help. It's mysterious enough that I tested it, and it seems
5 > > work except that it removes "." from any path. This is not quite what I
6 > want.
7 >
8 > Glad it was almost a success ;) Interesting, thats not something I
9 > noticed before, I have never wished "." in my PATH, I should point out
10 > of course that "." in your PATH is a security risk waiting to happen
11 > ;)
14 Open to debate. I'd think it's not very dangerous at the *end* of the PATH.
15 The usual worry is a Trojan masquerading as a normal utility, chosen
16 early because of the order of things in the searchpath. When I use ".", I
17 put it at the end. It's no worse than the fairly common ~/bin in a
18 searchpath,
19 which I'd actually rate more dangerous --
20 1) It's just as hard/easy to put something in ~/bin as in ~/
21 2) It's more likely to go unnoticed in ~/bin
22
23 And, since I do lots of development of itsy-bitsy scripts and C programs,
24 I'm using such stuff all the time.
27 Nevertheless it should not be removing the entry unless its a dup. I
28 > have quickly confirmed the behaviour it is defn stripping all "."
29 > entries.
30 >
31 > *sigh* the script needs some work .. I'll play with it again tomorrow....
32 >
33 > Thanks for the feedback,
34 > Mark
37 Thanks...