From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE4+i945+kernel+external display = ?
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 02:19:54
1 On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 19:50 -0600, Dmitry Makovey wrote:
2 > William Kenworthy wrote:
3 > > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Intel_GMA
4 > >
5 > ah, the magic word: GMA :) Thanks for the reference I have started
6 ...
7 > which intel driver do you use? Mine's 2.8.1 and I wonder if bumping to
8 > 2.9.1 that is in testing wouldn't yield better results.
9 bunyip ~ # esearch xf86-video-intel
10 [ Results for search key : xf86-video-intel ]
11 [ Applications found : 1 ]
12
13 * x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel
14 Latest version available: 2.9.0-r1
15 Latest version installed: 2.9.0-r1
16 Size of downloaded files: 773 kB
17 Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
19 License: MIT
22 bunyip ~ #
23
24 ...
25
26 > I too found "degradation" quite surprising since things were working
27 > pretty well up until now. I somewhat regret KDE4 switch because of all
28 > of this, however I definitely needed some of the features KDE4 apps had
29 > to offer. Traded off some of the features dear to my heart: multi-key
30 > combinations popping prompt menu, titlebar set correctly in Konsole
31 > without affecting tab name, and some others. Filed with bugs.kde.org...
32 > let's see what happens next. According to some KDE4 jsut highlighted
33 > problems in underlying Xorg, so hopefully now with all of that out in
34 > the open things will get fixed.
35 >
36 ...
37
38 I am now 3 days into an emerge -e world (almost 2000 packages) as after
39 the gnome 2.6 upgrade I had a lot of weird gnomey issues (actually had
40 to use a lot of kde apps for awhile!) This morning I rebooted and most
41 issues have gone away. At home, I have no ext monitor and the laptop is
42 set to its native 1366x768. When I got to work I resumed (ToI) and
43 plugged in the ext monitor (1280x768) and ran my script (desktop icon
44 that calls a script that uses xrandr to set both VGA1 and LVDS1 to
45 1280x1024) - and it worked perfectly. Maybe there are other packages
46 involved that are not obvious? To make it a bit more fuzzy, somewhere
47 in the middle of this I made sure that the kernel framebuffer drivers
48 were not being built (vga etc) and removed the grub argument to set the
49 mode - maybe this interferred with it previously? - though those
50 settings were there "forever". Note that the GMA guide reccomends doing
51 this.
52
53 I find that every couple of years or so, an emerge -e world cleans up a
54 lot of issues that just don't make sense otherwise - ~680 pkgs to go :)
55
56 BillK