From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WinXP under VMWare: no sound
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 00:06:41
1 On 11/4/06, Sergio Polini <sp_rm_it@×××××.it> wrote:
2 > Sound does not work. Sometimes (not always) I get a message
3 > like "cannot connect to /dev/dsp".
4 > Even if I do not get that message, even if the sound card looks
5 > connected (no red "x") sound is not working.
6 > I've found a VMWare document about a wrapper:
7
8 The problem is that /dev/dsp is the legacy OSS api, and does not
9 support dmix (software mixing of audio). Thus only one application
10 can access /dev/dsp at a time unless your card supports hardware
11 mixing. So most likely, /dev/dsp is already in use by some app.
12
13 The workaround to this is to use a wrapper such as aoss or vmware-dsp
14 that fakes out the application when it tries to open /dev/dsp and uses
15 another audio API instead (alsa for aoss, esd or artsd for
16 vmware-dsp).
17
18 http://kb.vmware.com/vmtnkb/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1611&sliceId=SAL_Public
19 > but it looks suited for versions 3.x, 4.x, and 5.0.x.
20 > Moreover, I've installed it and got:
21
22 FYI, there is an ebuild available for this...emerge vmare-dsp.
23
24 > [sp ~]$ ERROR: ld.so: object 'libvmdsp.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be
25 > preloaded: ignored.
26
27 What does ldd /usr/lib/libvmdsp* report? (or whatever directory
28 libvmdsp got installed to..)
29
30 -Richard
31
32 PS:The real fix for this is for VMWare to *stop* using the deprecated
33 OSS API for sound, and implement real ALSA compatibility. I highly
34 recommend sending this request to them!
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list