From: Sergio Polini <sp_rm_it@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] WinXP under VMWare: no sound
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 21:46:51
1 I'm experimenting with VMWare.
2 I've installed VMWare Workstation (5.5.1.19175-r7 ebuild) and created
3 a Windows Virtual Machine.
4 Then I've installed VMWare Player (in another Gentoo partition), so I
5 can "play" the VM I've created.
6 It works fine. Running Internet Explorer under Linux is rather
7 amusing ;-) Well, I've installed VMWare because I _must_ run a few
8 Windows apps (not IE ;-)) and don't like to shutdown my Gentoo box to
9 do that. But that is another matter...
10 Now I have what I needed, but I can't help experimenting....
11 Sound does not work. Sometimes (not always) I get a message
12 like "cannot connect to /dev/dsp".
13 Even if I do not get that message, even if the sound card looks
14 connected (no red "x") sound is not working.
15 I've found a VMWare document about a wrapper:
16 http://kb.vmware.com/vmtnkb/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1611&sliceId=SAL_Public
17 but it looks suited for versions 3.x, 4.x, and 5.0.x.
18 Moreover, I've installed it and got:
19
20 [sp ~]$ vmwarearts &
22 [sp ~]$ ERROR: ld.so: object 'libvmdsp.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be
23 preloaded: ignored.
24
25 And no sound, of course....
26 Any hints?