From: Nils Freydank <nils.freydank@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd-boot on an openrc system
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 11:05:30
1 Hi Peter,
2
3 long story short: AFAICT it's a deprecated or moved configuration entry inside
4 the file /etc/machine-info and should be safe to just delete, maybe even with
5 the whole file machine-info itself.
6
7 On my machine with openrc and systemd-boot I don't even have /etc/machine-info
8 at all and things work fine together. To me it looks as the variable was just
9 thrown out of the machine-info file and in case you would need it you should
10 put it into /etc/kernel/install.conf.
11
12 I don't know which software uses the string. If you compile your kernel
13 manually or using the gentoo-kernel packages it seems to be not necessary.
14
15 (But as always when taking advice from strangers on the internet: First make a
16 backup, have a live medium for recovery at hand and test it yourself.)
17
18 Kind regards,
19 Nils