From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd-boot on an openrc system
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:20:57
1 On Wednesday, 28 September 2022 12:05:19 BST Nils Freydank wrote:
2 > Hi Peter,
3 >
4 > long story short: AFAICT it's a deprecated or moved configuration entry
5 > inside the file /etc/machine-info and should be safe to just delete, maybe
6 > even with the whole file machine-info itself.
7 >
8 > On my machine with openrc and systemd-boot I don't even have
9 > /etc/machine-info at all and things work fine together. To me it looks as
10 > the variable was just thrown out of the machine-info file and in case you
11 > would need it you should put it into /etc/kernel/install.conf.
12 >
13 > I don't know which software uses the string. If you compile your kernel
14 > manually or using the gentoo-kernel packages it seems to be not necessary.
15 >
16 > (But as always when taking advice from strangers on the internet: First make
17 > a backup, have a live medium for recovery at hand and test it yourself.)
18
19 Thanks Nils.
20
21 Looking more carefully, I see only one machine has an /etc/machine-info. I've
22 moved it and I no longer get the warning. Simple as that, eh?
25 Regards,
26 Peter.