From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: DVD Movie backups
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 20:15:25
1 On 2011-12-16, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Grant Edwards><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Correct. If you use dd to copy an encrypted disk, the result will be
5 >> missing something like 90% of the data.
6 >>
7 >>> I have no interest in tearing apart the DVD in any way. It was more
8 >>> about the idea of a fire causing the loss of maybe $15K-$20K
9 >>> investment over the years. I can rip all the CDs, keep the ripped
10 >>> version here to watch on the computer, and store the DVDs elsewhere,
11 >>> but that elimiates (generally) being able to watch special features
12 >>> which my wife and kid enjoy.
13 >>
14 >> No it doesn't. You can use dvdbackup (or k9copy or ...) to copy the
15 >> DVDs to the computer and when you play them back you get all the
16 >> menus and special features and whatnot. If you want you can create
17 >> ISO images and burn them to dual-layer-DVDs, but you don't need to do
18 >> that to play them with all the features.
19
20 > So for my continued education, if I take an encrypted movie I can use
21 > program XYZ (Linux or Windows-based...) to create an iso image, but
22 > that iso image won't, even if it does include all the special
23 > features, ever be a bit-for-bit copy of the original. It's now
24 > unencrypted and created anew.
25
26 Exactly. I used to use k9copy, but I got tired of fighting with Qt
27 dependancies and switched to dvdbackup. Sometimes I create ISOs and
28 burn them to DVDs, but usually I just create directory trees and watch
29 them via a SageTv set-top-box that mounts the directory via NFS.
30
31 > It's a completely different way to represent the original data.
32
33 Yep. I'm not aware of any Linux software that can create an encrypted
34 DVD -- but I've never had a desire to do that, so my lack of knowlege
35 of such a thing shouldn't be used as an indication of non-existence of
36 such a thing. :)
37
38 > That said, if it's a _complete_ representation of the original then
39 > the special features are there, and if written to a DVD _might_ work
40 > in my DVD player,
41
42 They've always worked in the DVD players I've tried them in, including
43 subtitles, special features, multiple audio tracks, etc. The various
44 "backup" programs usually have options to pare down what's copied so
45 that you can do things like copy only the main title with one audio
46 track (with or without menus, subtitles, etc). Some of the backup
47 programs will also re-encode the video to make the end result fit
48 within a specified size -- for example you can generate a 4.7G ISO
49 image from a 9GB original.
50
51 > assuming the DVD player isn't specifically looking for something that
52 > was on the original disc such as specifically encrypted blocks of
53 > data, etc.
54 >
55 > Am I getting closer?
56
57 Indeed you are.
60 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! How's it going in
61 at those MODULAR LOVE UNITS??
62 gmail.com