From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: DVD Movie backups
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 19:20:26
1 On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 2011-12-16, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 >>> No; you'll have to decrypt, or do without the encrypted bits.
7 >>>
8 >>> dvdbackup is probably the closest to what you want.
9 >>
10 >> Interesting. So even something that just copies blocks of data, like
11 >> dd, can't be used for that purpose?
12 >
13 > Correct.  If you use dd to copy an encrypted disk, the result will be
14 > missing something like 90% of the data.
15 >
16 >> I have no interest in tearing apart the DVD in any way. It was more
17 >> about the idea of a fire causing the loss of maybe $15K-$20K
18 >> investment over the years. I can rip all the CDs, keep the ripped
19 >> version here to watch on the computer, and store the DVDs elsewhere,
20 >> but that elimiates (generally) being able to watch special features
21 >> which my wife and kid enjoy.
22 >
23 > No it doesn't.  You can use dvdbackup (or k9copy or ...) to copy the
24 > DVDs to the computer and when you play them back you get all the menus
25 > and special features and whatnot.  If you want you can create ISO
26 > images and burn them to dual-layer-DVDs, but you don't need to do that
27 > to play them with all the features.
28 >
29 > --
30 > Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Now we can become
31
32 Hi Grant,
33 I should have guessed you'd be on top of this subject given your
34 pointer a month ago about Handbrake. (Which has been a really great
35 program.) Thanks for that and thanks for the additional info.
36
37 So for my continued education, if I take an encrypted movie I can
38 use program XYZ (Linux or Windows-based...) to create an iso image,
39 but that iso image won't, even if it does include all the special
40 features, ever be a bit-for-bit copy of the original. It's now
41 unencrypted and created anew. It's a completely different way to
42 represent the original data.
43
44 That said, if it's a _complete_ representation of the original then
45 the special features are there, and if written to a DVD _might_ work
46 in my DVD player, assuming the DVD player isn't specifically looking
47 for something that was on the original disc such as specifically
48 encrypted blocks of data, etc.
49
50 Am I getting closer?
51