From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: DVD Movie backups
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 19:06:18
1 On 2011-12-16, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 >> No; you'll have to decrypt, or do without the encrypted bits.
5 >>
6 >> dvdbackup is probably the closest to what you want.
7 >
8 > Interesting. So even something that just copies blocks of data, like
9 > dd, can't be used for that purpose?
10
11 Correct. If you use dd to copy an encrypted disk, the result will be
12 missing something like 90% of the data.
13
14 > I have no interest in tearing apart the DVD in any way. It was more
15 > about the idea of a fire causing the loss of maybe $15K-$20K
16 > investment over the years. I can rip all the CDs, keep the ripped
17 > version here to watch on the computer, and store the DVDs elsewhere,
18 > but that elimiates (generally) being able to watch special features
19 > which my wife and kid enjoy.
20
21 No it doesn't. You can use dvdbackup (or k9copy or ...) to copy the
22 DVDs to the computer and when you play them back you get all the menus
23 and special features and whatnot. If you want you can create ISO
24 images and burn them to dual-layer-DVDs, but you don't need to do that
25 to play them with all the features.
28 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Now we can become
29 at alcoholics!
30 gmail.com