From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD Movie backups
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 17:26:42
1 On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > No; you'll have to decrypt, or do without the encrypted bits.
3 >
4 > dvdbackup is probably the closest to what you want.
5 >
6 > On Dec 16, 2011 11:09 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>
8 >> For archive purposes is there a simple way for me to make a
9 >> bit-for-bit copy retail DVDs I've purchased?
10 >>
11 >> Assume that I've got the right sort of DVD drive, I guess something
12 >> capable of writing dual-layer DVDs.
13 >>
14 >> Thanks,
15 >> Mark
16
17 Interesting. So even something that just copies blocks of data, like
18 dd, can't be used for that purpose?
19
20 I have no interest in tearing apart the DVD in any way. It was more
21 about the idea of a fire causing the loss of maybe $15K-$20K
22 investment over the years. I can rip all the CDs, keep the ripped
23 version here to watch on the computer, and store the DVDs elsewhere,
24 but that elimiates (generally) being able to watch special features
25 which my wife and kid enjoy.
26
27 Thanks for the info.
28