From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD Movie backups
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 19:16:27
1 On 16 December 2011, at 17:25, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I have no interest in tearing apart the DVD in any way. It was more
4 > about the idea of a fire causing the loss of maybe $15K-$20K
5 > investment over the years. I can rip all the CDs, keep the ripped
6 > version here to watch on the computer, and store the DVDs elsewhere,
7 > but that elimiates (generally) being able to watch special features
8 > which my wife and kid enjoy.
9
10 I've been down this path fairly extensively.
11
12 Use media-video/dvdbackup and mkisofs (from app-cdr/cdrtools) to create .iso images of your DVDs.
13
14 Store these on a Samba share, then use something like the PlayOn HD Mini or the Western Digital TV Live! to watch them on your big screen TV.
15
16 These players allow you to treat .iso files on the network just as if they were actual DVDs and give you full access to the menus and extra features.
17
18 I'm in the process of trying media-tv/xbmc instead - I believe it handles menus, but haven't got far enough to test that (I just got video sorted on my HTPC, now working on sound).
19
20 dvdbackup will fail on a small number of DVDs which have been "copy-protected" by making them non-compliant with the DVD specification (IMO this is fixable in dvdbackup's code), but I'm getting at least a 95% success rate.
21
22 I have found writing dual-layer DVDs practically impossible. The failure rate is way too high - even disks which burned "successfully" are unreadable on another PC / player.
23
24 Stroller.