From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 20:12:14
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > thanks for all the input to all who have answered ! :)
5 >
6 > I will try to characterize ("characterise" ?) what I plan to do with
7 > my TByte disk.
8 > My current drive is 200GByte and it becomes too small...
9 > I DONT LIKE (read: hate) to put CDs or DVDs into my drive, to mount
10 > it only to get access to documentations. CDs and DVDs as storage media
11 > in the sense of "backup" is ok, but (at least for me) as a replacement
12 > or extension to the harddisk it is much to slow (at least for me).
13 >
14 > So I have a lot of docs (specs of microcontrollers, howtos, programm
15 > and source code docs...etc) on my disk.
16 > This one part.
17 >
18 > Then: I often transer videos from my DVB-T-receiver/recorder to my
19 > harddisk to cut out the advertising and to transcode the videos to
20 > somethings better than "ts" (transport streams),
21 > This is another part.
22 >
23 > Then I plan to have two roots this time: One to experiment with and
24 > one "good and stable"-version which is used/updated/... "strictly as
25 > recommended". Filesizes and usage do vary here...take a look at your
26 > own roots ;)))
27 >
28 > Then I want something encrypted, either as a partition or as a files
29 > (carrying a encrypted fs), which I can copy to dvd and will be able
30 > to mount this dvd and use it without to have to copy the whole dvd
31 > first to harddisk before using it...
32 > Currently I am using encfs...(outdated?). What can I do use instead?
33 > This is for personal things like letters, photos, texts ... etc.
34 > Files vary from some kb up to about 2GByte (guessed). Most of them
35 > smaller than 200MByte
36 >
37 > Last thing: I have a lot iof copies of code from svn repositories because
38 > I like to have the "bleeding edge" of some projects (do you know the
39 > new Blender 2.50??? :O)
40 >
41 > This implies a lot of compile work. This will be the only case where
42 > files are created as often as read.
43 >
44 > Most files will be far more read than written...
45 >
46 > I have not planned a webserver, fileserve, extensive database usage (ok
47 > emerge and helpers a little of database usage...), experimental file
48 > creation and deletion...etcpp
49 >
50 > I would say...maximium file size will be around 4GB for all of that
51 > above, since everything above that I cannot backup onto DVDRWs....
52 >
53 > May be this will give you a little "look inside my harddisk" ;)
54 >
55 > Any recommendations?
56 >
57 > keep hacking! ;)
58 > mcc
62 I'm no file system guru but that will help inform people on what you
63 will be using it for. The people on this list that do use all sorts of
64 different file systems can now offer better advice on what might best
65 suite you. Someone a good while back had a huge video or something that
66 was causing trouble and if I recall correctly it was because of some
67 file system limitation or something to that effect.
68
69 Give the thread a day or so so that others can chime in with advice.
70 Some people are in different time zones, some answer at home, some at
71 work etc etc so it takes a bit to let the gurus catch up.
72
73 Dale
74