From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 19:10:33
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [10-04-01 20:36]:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > >Hi,
4 > >
5 > >I googled down some - often fairly outdated - texts about "the
6 > >best filesystem" fpr a Linux box. Other texts focussed on
7 > >uses, which do not aplly to me: Fileservers, webservers, database
8 > >machines etc.
9 > >
10 > >Wnat I want is a fast and stable (!) filesystem for a desktop PC
11 > >with one 1TByte harddisk. Since using Gentoo and a lot of sources
12 > >I do compile very often "bigger things" (blender-2.50 for example).
13 > >Another thing: Due to my experimenting it is possible that I have to
14 > >reboot "hard", which means, the filesystem will be unmounted not
15 > >cleanly ("dirty" do to say...;) The choosen filesystem should be
16 > >good in recovering such thing.
17 > >
18 > >I am currently using a vanilla 2.6.32.10 kernel.
19 > >
20 > >The question, what remains is: What choose should I make?
21 > >
22 > >I thank you very much in advance for any help!
23 > >Best regards,
24 > >mcc
28 > I notice you have a fairly large drive. You may want to indicate
29 > whether or not you will be putting large files on it or what not. If
30 > you are, some files systems work better with large files. That said,
31 > if you plan to have a lot of small files, then another file system may
32 > work better. If you plan to have a mix, then it could get interesting.
33 > ;-)
34 >
35 > I use reiserfs myself and have had no problems, even with a hard
36 > shutdown or some other failure. Thing is, most file systems are good
37 > but it depends on what you will be putting on it. From my experience,
38 > don't use XFS unless you have a UPS and will not be having to pull the
39 > plug. I tried XFS a while back and each time there was a hard
40 > shutdown, I had to reinstall. It was running Mandriva so I didn't know
41 > how to recover with it and no other bootable CD either. XFS has its
42 > good points but surviving a power plug pull is not one of them.
43 >
44 > I will also say this, it is a good idea to ask first on this. There
45 > are a lot of good file systems out there and each one has its strong
46 > points. It's best to get the right one first rather than to have to
47 > redo things later on.
48 >
49 > Dale
50 >
51 > :-) :-)
54 Hi,
55
56 thanks for all the input to all who have answered ! :)
57
58 I will try to characterize ("characterise" ?) what I plan to do with
59 my TByte disk.
60 My current drive is 200GByte and it becomes too small...
61 I DONT LIKE (read: hate) to put CDs or DVDs into my drive, to mount
62 it only to get access to documentations. CDs and DVDs as storage media
63 in the sense of "backup" is ok, but (at least for me) as a replacement
64 or extension to the harddisk it is much to slow (at least for me).
65
66 So I have a lot of docs (specs of microcontrollers, howtos, programm
67 and source code docs...etc) on my disk.
68 This one part.
69
70 Then: I often transer videos from my DVB-T-receiver/recorder to my
71 harddisk to cut out the advertising and to transcode the videos to
72 somethings better than "ts" (transport streams),
73 This is another part.
74
75 Then I plan to have two roots this time: One to experiment with and
76 one "good and stable"-version which is used/updated/... "strictly as
77 recommended". Filesizes and usage do vary here...take a look at your
78 own roots ;)))
79
80 Then I want something encrypted, either as a partition or as a files
81 (carrying a encrypted fs), which I can copy to dvd and will be able
82 to mount this dvd and use it without to have to copy the whole dvd
83 first to harddisk before using it...
84 Currently I am using encfs...(outdated?). What can I do use instead?
85 This is for personal things like letters, photos, texts ... etc.
86 Files vary from some kb up to about 2GByte (guessed). Most of them
87 smaller than 200MByte
88
89 Last thing: I have a lot iof copies of code from svn repositories because
90 I like to have the "bleeding edge" of some projects (do you know the
91 new Blender 2.50??? :O)
92
93 This implies a lot of compile work. This will be the only case where
94 files are created as often as read.
95
96 Most files will be far more read than written...
97
98 I have not planned a webserver, fileserve, extensive database usage (ok
99 emerge and helpers a little of database usage...), experimental file
100 creation and deletion...etcpp
101
102 I would say...maximium file size will be around 4GB for all of that
103 above, since everything above that I cannot backup onto DVDRWs....
104
105 May be this will give you a little "look inside my harddisk" ;)
106
107 Any recommendations?
108
109 keep hacking! ;)
110 mcc
115 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
116 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
117 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
118 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.