From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 08:50:45
1 On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:09:30 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > So I have a lot of docs (specs of microcontrollers, howtos, programm
4 > and source code docs...etc) on my disk.
5 > This one part.
6
7 Those are fairly normal files.
8
9 > Then: I often transer videos from my DVB-T-receiver/recorder to my
10 > harddisk to cut out the advertising and to transcode the videos to
11 > somethings better than "ts" (transport streams),
12
13 These tend to be bigger, often in the GB range, so I'd use a separate
14 filesystem for them with XFS, which handles large files better in my
15 experience.
16
17 > Then I want something encrypted, either as a partition or as a files
18 > (carrying a encrypted fs), which I can copy to dvd and will be able
19 > to mount this dvd and use it without to have to copy the whole dvd
20 > first to harddisk before using it...
21 > Currently I am using encfs...(outdated?). What can I do use instead?
22
23 ecryptfs does much the same job as encfs but is in the kernel.
24
25 I'd say something like reiser3 for most areas and an XFS filesystem for
26 the videos would be a good starting point. I would strongly recommend you
27 use LVM and only set up volumes for what you need. That gives you extra
28 space to play with and even experiment with different filesystems to see
29 which work for you.
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant.