From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 09:12:11
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> [10-04-02 10:52]:
2 > On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:09:30 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > > So I have a lot of docs (specs of microcontrollers, howtos, programm
5 > > and source code docs...etc) on my disk.
6 > > This one part.
7 >
8 > Those are fairly normal files.
9 >
10 > > Then: I often transer videos from my DVB-T-receiver/recorder to my
11 > > harddisk to cut out the advertising and to transcode the videos to
12 > > somethings better than "ts" (transport streams),
13 >
14 > These tend to be bigger, often in the GB range, so I'd use a separate
15 > filesystem for them with XFS, which handles large files better in my
16 > experience.
17 >
18 > > Then I want something encrypted, either as a partition or as a files
19 > > (carrying a encrypted fs), which I can copy to dvd and will be able
20 > > to mount this dvd and use it without to have to copy the whole dvd
21 > > first to harddisk before using it...
22 > > Currently I am using encfs...(outdated?). What can I do use instead?
23 >
24 > ecryptfs does much the same job as encfs but is in the kernel.
25 >
26 > I'd say something like reiser3 for most areas and an XFS filesystem for
27 > the videos would be a good starting point. I would strongly recommend you
28 > use LVM and only set up volumes for what you need. That gives you extra
29 > space to play with and even experiment with different filesystems to see
30 > which work for you.
33 > --
34 > Neil Bothwick
35 >
36 > The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant.
37
38 Hi Neil,
39
40 Thank you for your help! :)
41
42 A question to LVM: As much as I know, LVM combines several partition
43 to one big partition, and if one partition fails, at least other
44 others of that volume are damaged, too.
45 What is the advantage of using LVM and several small partitions
46 instead of one in the size of the sum of the others and not using
47 LVM?
48
49 Best regards,
50 mcc
56 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
57 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
58 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
59 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.