From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 09:29:24
1 On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 11:11 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> [10-04-02 10:52]:
3 > > On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:09:30 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > >
5 > > > So I have a lot of docs (specs of microcontrollers, howtos, programm
6 > > > and source code docs...etc) on my disk.
7 > > > This one part.
8 > >
9 > > Those are fairly normal files.
10 > >
11 > > > Then: I often transer videos from my DVB-T-receiver/recorder to my
12 > > > harddisk to cut out the advertising and to transcode the videos to
13 > > > somethings better than "ts" (transport streams),
14 > >
15 > > These tend to be bigger, often in the GB range, so I'd use a separate
16 > > filesystem for them with XFS, which handles large files better in my
17 > > experience.
18 > >
19 > > > Then I want something encrypted, either as a partition or as a files
20 > > > (carrying a encrypted fs), which I can copy to dvd and will be able
21 > > > to mount this dvd and use it without to have to copy the whole dvd
22 > > > first to harddisk before using it...
23 > > > Currently I am using encfs...(outdated?). What can I do use instead?
24 > >
25 > > ecryptfs does much the same job as encfs but is in the kernel.
26 > >
27 > > I'd say something like reiser3 for most areas and an XFS filesystem for
28 > > the videos would be a good starting point. I would strongly recommend you
29 > > use LVM and only set up volumes for what you need. That gives you extra
30 > > space to play with and even experiment with different filesystems to see
31 > > which work for you.
34 > > --
35 > > Neil Bothwick
36 > >
37 > > The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant.
38 >
39 > Hi Neil,
40 >
41 > Thank you for your help! :)
42 >
43 > A question to LVM: As much as I know, LVM combines several partition
44 > to one big partition, and if one partition fails, at least other
45 > others of that volume are damaged, too.
46 > What is the advantage of using LVM and several small partitions
47 > instead of one in the size of the sum of the others and not using
48 > LVM?
49 >
50 > Best regards,
51 > mcc
52 >
53 The advantage is flexibility - you absolutely love LVM when you discover
54 you have made a file system too small! Shrinking/enlarging/adding more
55 storage etc is a real bonus.
56
57 Downside as you mention is lose one disk and you may lose all - however
58 I believe that sometimes the remaining data can be recovered.
59
60 Also keep in mind that while small partitions can be a pain and waste
61 space, normal corruption is limited to one partition, and physical data
62 protection is better (i.e., when one partition fills up, others are
63 safe)
64
65 BillK