From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 10:28:19
1 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> [10-04-02 11:32]:
2 > On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 11:11 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> [10-04-02 10:52]:
4 > > > On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:09:30 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > > So I have a lot of docs (specs of microcontrollers, howtos, programm
7 > > > > and source code docs...etc) on my disk.
8 > > > > This one part.
9 > > >
10 > > > Those are fairly normal files.
11 > > >
12 > > > > Then: I often transer videos from my DVB-T-receiver/recorder to my
13 > > > > harddisk to cut out the advertising and to transcode the videos to
14 > > > > somethings better than "ts" (transport streams),
15 > > >
16 > > > These tend to be bigger, often in the GB range, so I'd use a separate
17 > > > filesystem for them with XFS, which handles large files better in my
18 > > > experience.
19 > > >
20 > > > > Then I want something encrypted, either as a partition or as a files
21 > > > > (carrying a encrypted fs), which I can copy to dvd and will be able
22 > > > > to mount this dvd and use it without to have to copy the whole dvd
23 > > > > first to harddisk before using it...
24 > > > > Currently I am using encfs...(outdated?). What can I do use instead?
25 > > >
26 > > > ecryptfs does much the same job as encfs but is in the kernel.
27 > > >
28 > > > I'd say something like reiser3 for most areas and an XFS filesystem for
29 > > > the videos would be a good starting point. I would strongly recommend you
30 > > > use LVM and only set up volumes for what you need. That gives you extra
31 > > > space to play with and even experiment with different filesystems to see
32 > > > which work for you.
33 > > >
34 > > >
35 > > > --
36 > > > Neil Bothwick
37 > > >
38 > > > The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant.
39 > >
40 > > Hi Neil,
41 > >
42 > > Thank you for your help! :)
43 > >
44 > > A question to LVM: As much as I know, LVM combines several partition
45 > > to one big partition, and if one partition fails, at least other
46 > > others of that volume are damaged, too.
47 > > What is the advantage of using LVM and several small partitions
48 > > instead of one in the size of the sum of the others and not using
49 > > LVM?
50 > >
51 > > Best regards,
52 > > mcc
53 > >
54 > The advantage is flexibility - you absolutely love LVM when you discover
55 > you have made a file system too small! Shrinking/enlarging/adding more
56 > storage etc is a real bonus.
57 >
58 > Downside as you mention is lose one disk and you may lose all - however
59 > I believe that sometimes the remaining data can be recovered.
60 >
61 > Also keep in mind that while small partitions can be a pain and waste
62 > space, normal corruption is limited to one partition, and physical data
63 > protection is better (i.e., when one partition fills up, others are
64 > safe)
65 >
66 > BillK
71 Hi Bill,
72
73 tahnks for your reply! :)
74 Seems that that, what I thought to have remembered of LVM seems to be
75 still correct.
76
77 mcc
80 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
81 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
82 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
83 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.