From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 10:46:24
1 On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 11:11:30 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > A question to LVM: As much as I know, LVM combines several partition
4 > to one big partition, and if one partition fails, at least other
5 > others of that volume are damaged, too.
6
7 It can be used that way, but you have only one disk, so you would create
8 a single physical volume from a large partition on that disk and then use
9 LVM to create individual logical volumes within it.
10
11 > What is the advantage of using LVM and several small partitions
12 > instead of one in the size of the sum of the others and not using
13 > LVM?
14
15 Flexibility and convenience. No single filesystem is right for all of
16 your needs, with LVM you can use XFS where it is best suited and
17 something else elsewhere, and you can resize and reorganise your volumes
18 without needing to repartition the drive. I have a few hundred GB unused
19 on my volume group, so I can add volumes or resize existing ones in
20 seconds with minimal effort and no downtime.
21
22 Just one note of caution, XFS filesystems cannot be shrunk, although they
23 are easy to grow, so make any XFS volumes no larger than your current
24 needs. That advice applies to all your volumes, because growing is easier
25 and faster than shrinking, but doubly so to XFS.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.