From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 11:05:37
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> [10-04-02 12:48]:
2 > On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 11:11:30 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > > A question to LVM: As much as I know, LVM combines several partition
5 > > to one big partition, and if one partition fails, at least other
6 > > others of that volume are damaged, too.
7 >
8 > It can be used that way, but you have only one disk, so you would create
9 > a single physical volume from a large partition on that disk and then use
10 > LVM to create individual logical volumes within it.
11 >
12 > > What is the advantage of using LVM and several small partitions
13 > > instead of one in the size of the sum of the others and not using
14 > > LVM?
15 >
16 > Flexibility and convenience. No single filesystem is right for all of
17 > your needs, with LVM you can use XFS where it is best suited and
18 > something else elsewhere, and you can resize and reorganise your volumes
19 > without needing to repartition the drive. I have a few hundred GB unused
20 > on my volume group, so I can add volumes or resize existing ones in
21 > seconds with minimal effort and no downtime.
22 >
23 > Just one note of caution, XFS filesystems cannot be shrunk, although they
24 > are easy to grow, so make any XFS volumes no larger than your current
25 > needs. That advice applies to all your volumes, because growing is easier
26 > and faster than shrinking, but doubly so to XFS.
29 > --
30 > Neil Bothwick
31 >
32 > Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
33
34 Hi Neil,
35
36 only to be sure to have understood everything correctly:
37 Suggestion is to create for example one root partition and a swap
38 partion. And I will create on big "rest of the disk"-partition.
39 The last one will be subdivided with LVM into portions as needed.
40
41 Since the last big partition is big due to physical reasons (not for logical one):
42 What will happen, if -- for example -- one portion will be not unmounted cleanly
43 and while booting/checking fails to recover? Are all others
44 damaged/lost?
45
46 Best regards,
47 mcc
52 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
53 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
54 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
55 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.