From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 18:33:36
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I googled down some - often fairly outdated - texts about "the
5 > best filesystem" fpr a Linux box. Other texts focussed on
6 > uses, which do not aplly to me: Fileservers, webservers, database
7 > machines etc.
8 >
9 > Wnat I want is a fast and stable (!) filesystem for a desktop PC
10 > with one 1TByte harddisk. Since using Gentoo and a lot of sources
11 > I do compile very often "bigger things" (blender-2.50 for example).
12 > Another thing: Due to my experimenting it is possible that I have to
13 > reboot "hard", which means, the filesystem will be unmounted not
14 > cleanly ("dirty" do to say...;) The choosen filesystem should be
15 > good in recovering such thing.
16 >
17 > I am currently using a vanilla 2.6.32.10 kernel.
18 >
19 > The question, what remains is: What choose should I make?
20 >
21 > I thank you very much in advance for any help!
22 > Best regards,
23 > mcc
27 I notice you have a fairly large drive. You may want to indicate
28 whether or not you will be putting large files on it or what not. If
29 you are, some files systems work better with large files. That said, if
30 you plan to have a lot of small files, then another file system may work
31 better. If you plan to have a mix, then it could get interesting. ;-)
32
33 I use reiserfs myself and have had no problems, even with a hard
34 shutdown or some other failure. Thing is, most file systems are good
35 but it depends on what you will be putting on it. From my experience,
36 don't use XFS unless you have a UPS and will not be having to pull the
37 plug. I tried XFS a while back and each time there was a hard shutdown,
38 I had to reinstall. It was running Mandriva so I didn't know how to
39 recover with it and no other bootable CD either. XFS has its good
40 points but surviving a power plug pull is not one of them.
41
42 I will also say this, it is a good idea to ask first on this. There are
43 a lot of good file systems out there and each one has its strong
44 points. It's best to get the right one first rather than to have to
45 redo things later on.
46
47 Dale
48