From: Hans <linux@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: udev detection weirdness
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 13:59:14
1 On 26/05/16 23:39, James wrote:
2 > Daniel Frey <djqfrey <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> It appears to be udev. Somewhere along in its stupid detection it
6 >> decides to process USB devices before sata ports, thusly randomly
7 >> renaming the boot drive to something else in the process.
8 >
9 >> It took me forever to figure this out, I eventually had a lightbulb
10 >> moment and used my phone to record video of it booting, then slowing it
11 >> down, as when the kernel panics you can't scroll back up to see WTF
12 >> happened.
13 >
14 > Kernel crash dumps might help [1]
18 >> This is an older machine, but I'm not convinced it's the motherboard
19 >> doing this. I've checked the boot order in the BIOS. I've also tried
20 >> setting and unsetting "BIOS order determines boot disk" in the kernel
21 >> config and it made no difference.
22 >
23 > You might want to 'emerge -1 sys-apps/hwids'
26 >> What eventually fixed it was building USB as modules. (Another kludge!)
27 >
28 > There are numerous 'usb sniffers' that capture data. Some clue
29 > might be found using a usb sniffer.
33 >> I have no custom udev rules, the only rules I could find were in
34 >> /lib/udev/rules.d:
35 >
36 > I use sys-fs/eudev. ymmv.
39 >> Does anyone have any explanation for this daft behaviour or know where I
40 >> should look?
41 >> I have multiple machines and it's only this one that has this problem,
42 >> which happened after a <at> world update long ago.
43 >
44 > If you have a similar setup on similar hardware, then 'diff' the (dmesg)
45 > boot log files for any differences and analyze.
48 > hth,
49 > James
50 >
51 > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_Crash_Dumps
55 I had similar problems. Fixed them permanently by using disk labels on
56 all partitions on all computers.