From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: udev detection weirdness
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 13:41:10
1 Daniel Frey <djqfrey <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > It appears to be udev. Somewhere along in its stupid detection it
5 > decides to process USB devices before sata ports, thusly randomly
6 > renaming the boot drive to something else in the process.
7
8 > It took me forever to figure this out, I eventually had a lightbulb
9 > moment and used my phone to record video of it booting, then slowing it
10 > down, as when the kernel panics you can't scroll back up to see WTF
11 > happened.
12
13 Kernel crash dumps might help [1]
17 > This is an older machine, but I'm not convinced it's the motherboard
18 > doing this. I've checked the boot order in the BIOS. I've also tried
19 > setting and unsetting "BIOS order determines boot disk" in the kernel
20 > config and it made no difference.
21
22 You might want to 'emerge -1 sys-apps/hwids'
25 > What eventually fixed it was building USB as modules. (Another kludge!)
26
27 There are numerous 'usb sniffers' that capture data. Some clue
28 might be found using a usb sniffer.
32 > I have no custom udev rules, the only rules I could find were in
33 > /lib/udev/rules.d:
34
35 I use sys-fs/eudev. ymmv.
38 > Does anyone have any explanation for this daft behaviour or know where I
39 > should look?
40 > I have multiple machines and it's only this one that has this problem,
41 > which happened after a <at> world update long ago.
42
43 If you have a similar setup on similar hardware, then 'diff' the (dmesg)
44 boot log files for any differences and analyze.
47 hth,
48 James
49
50 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_Crash_Dumps