From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Irritating ~5s pause whilst booting with grub
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 20:12:44
1 Hello, Gentoo,
2
3 This isn't a critical problem, but it's a little irritating.
4
5 When my machine boots, it first displays the BIOS invitation to type F2,
6 then starts grub. Grub spends about 5 seconds with a blank screen, and
7 an underline cursor dotting about randomly in the top left hand area of
8 the screen, possibly some 25 x 80 area (whatever that might mean). Only
9 then does it display its boot menu.
10
11 My machine is a standard up to date (18 months old) AMD-64 Ryzen machine
12 booting from EFI.
13
14 Looking into my /boot/grub/grub.conf, I've got:
15
16 # Menu timeout
17 timeout=10
18
19 : the irritating delay is ~5 seconds, so this can't be due to anything
20 dependant on that timeout setting; and
21
22 # If we have a font available, start graphical output.
23 if loadfont unifont; then
24 echo "Loading unifont"
25 # Output resolution for GRUB (eg. 1024x768 or 'auto').
26 gfxmode=auto
27
28 # Output resolution for Linux (VESAFB only).
29 # 'keep' means use the same resolution as GRUB.
30 # For other framebuffer drivers, pass a resolution using the
31 # video= kernel param.
32 gfxpayload=keep
33
34 # Load all video drivers.
35 insmod all_video
36
37 # Switch to graphical output.
38 terminal_output gfxterm
39 fi
40
41 . I'm wondering if my problem has something to do with the 'insmod
42 all_video', and then the system is trying out lots of different video
43 modes, each with a long timeout, before finally finding the correct one.
44 Would, perhaps, a more specific value of gfxmode help?
45
46 Also, as an aside, grub has 878 .c files and a user's info guide
47 weighing in at 300 kbytes. It's great that the documentation exists,
48 but 300k? This is all just for a boot system. There are 255 loadable
49 modules. (For comparison, the Emacs core has just 132 .c files.) I
50 can't help feeling that this has got horribly out of hand.
51
52 I just need a program to boot the machine, that's all - I don't really
53 care what colours it uses, what fonts it uses, it only needs to read a
54 GPT partition table, and boot on utterly standard hardware. I
55 appreciate having a menu of different boot options (in my case, this
56 just means different kernel versions), but everything else is just
57 aesthetic sugar. Too much sugar isn't good for one.
60 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).