From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Irritating ~5s pause whilst booting with grub
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 21:08:56
1 On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 20:03:54 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2
3 > I just need a program to boot the machine, that's all - I don't really
4 > care what colours it uses, what fonts it uses, it only needs to read a
5 > GPT partition table, and boot on utterly standard hardware. I
6 > appreciate having a menu of different boot options (in my case, this
7 > just means different kernel versions), but everything else is just
8 > aesthetic sugar. Too much sugar isn't good for one.
9
10 Use a UEFI boot manager, which is much simpler than GRUB. If you use
11 systemd you already have one if you installed it with USE="gnuefi".
12 Otherwise use the standalone version, systemd-boot. Or you can use
13 refind, but that is a bit more sugary.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 I'm not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly