From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Nouveau driver turns off video when I start X
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 20:45:03
1 I started a thread a while ago about looking for an accelerated video
2 card. I went and got an ASUS EN210 Silent PCIe card and followed the
3 instructions at the Gentoo Nouveau wiki. I have not been able to get X
4 running yet. Trying to launch X with startx blanks the screen, and I
5 can't get it back. Note that the machine does *NOT* lock up, rather the
6 video gets disabled until I reboot. I can ssh into the machine. It
7 appears to be working fine. If I...
8
9 * start a root text console in TTY8
10 * switch to TTY9
11 * startx
12
13 The screen goes blank and I can't get graphics or GUI, no matter what
14 I do. I can ssh in from another machine and things look OK. As a
15 matter of fact, I can {CTRL-ALT-F8} and blindly issue the command
16 "reboot" or "halt -p", and it gets executed. The attached Xorg.log file
17 shows nothing wrong. "Xorg -configure" does generate an xorg.conf.new
18 file, but screams about...
19
20 ====================================================================
21 (EE) [drm] No DRICreatePCIBusID symbol
22 Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
23 Configuration failed.
24 Server terminated with error (2). Closing log file.
26
27 The Gentoo Nouveau wiki says that message comes either from disabling
28 DRI (which I didn't do) or from the wrong opengl. I only have the xorg
29 version. Any ideas? Do the proprietary Nvidia drivers work with kernel
30 3.2.12? I'm running with mdev instead of udev. Would that make a
31 difference?
34 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>

Xorg.0.log.gz application/octet-stream