From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: checking whether the C compiler works... no Oooops !!
Date: Sat, 07 May 2011 04:03:00
1 On 2011-05-06, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > P. S. One would think a Gentoo system could sit idle for a couple
4 > months without this sort of mess.
5
6 It depends on which "couple of months" you happen to pick. ;)
7
8 Most of the time "a couple months" is OK. Once in a while there will
9 be several major updates for different packages in a short span and
10 for certain configurations if you don't do them incrementally stuff
11 breaks rather badly without some rather detailed shepherding from the
12 user along the way.
13
14 Still, it's nothing like the major upgrade disasters and RPM
15 dependency hell that I so vividly remember from my RedHat and Mandrake
16 days.
17
18 I specifically remember trying to upgrade from RedHat 6.x to 7.0. It
19 was a complete disaster. It turned out that even a clean install of
20 RH 7.0 was almost unusable, and the "7" series was really ready for
21 prime time until about 7.3. That was when I gave up on RedHat -- and
22 I had been using RedHat since before they used version numbers (I
23 think I started with the "Mother's Day" release).
24
25 Mandrake seemd a little better, but it still had the same basic
26 problem: any time you wanted a package that wasn't on the base install
27 CD, the only viable choice was to build it from sources, because every
28 binary RPM that you could find always required different library
29 versions that what you hand installed. When you tried to build from
30 source, you found out you didn't have have the "devel" versions of the
31 right libararies. If you tried to update libraries it would start a
32 chain-reaction of dependancy problems that didn't end until you were
33 standing there with a smoking gun picking bits of drive platter out of
34 your hair.