From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage option "--changed-use" not working?
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 23:48:02
1 On 21 January 2012 03:26, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:00:52 -0600
3 > »Q« <boxcars@×××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:06:22 +0000
6 >> Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
7 >>
8 >> > I suspect this is
9 >> > specific to the KDE ebuilds (or eclass). changed-use should only
10 >> > skip an ebuild with changed flags if re-emerging would produce
11 >> > exactly the same code as before, this may not be the case. For
12 >> > example, in some ebuilds, it is the absence of a USE flag that
13 >> > triggers an extra configure option, so removing that use flag would
14 >> > give the same code as if the package had been emerged with it
15 >> > enabled.
16 >> >
17 >> > Something like this happened recently with the nls flag on glibc.
18 >>
19 >> Ah, that makes sense -- thanks.  (And now I wish I'd read the entire
20 >> thread in dev before I posted a few minutes ago.)
21 >>
22 >> IMO, the man page's section on --changed-use should say what you've
23 >> just said rather than what it says now.
24 >
25 > I saw the logs from the kde team meeting where they discussed removing
26 > kdeenablefinal and decided when to do it. My own update on that ran
27 > overnight so I wasn't too fazed.
28 >
29 > But is this not a case where the kde eclass *explictly* set the USE
30 > flag off? (Disclaimer: haven't read the eclass). In that case portage
31 > would not know what to do when the flag goes away so the behaviour we
32 > saw would not really be a bug, it would be "playing safe"
33
34 I do not quite follow your logic here. Whether a USE flag is forcibly
35 disabled, not enabled, or disabled by default, does not make any
36 practical difference: it is not used. So when it is then removed later
37 on, no rebuild is necessary. It was not used before, now it does not
38 even exist any more.
39
40 > --changed-use is intended for cases like a flag you are not using at
41 > all goes away. Caveat: Even then it could still break in subtle ways
42 > with dodgy ebuilds. Caveat emptor.
43
44 Which is *exactly* what happened here (IIUC). The use of
45 kdeenablefinal has been discouraged from the start [or at least for a
46 very long time] so I (and presumably most people) never enabled it.
47 Now it has been removed. Ergo: nothing needs to be rebuilt.
48
49 I do not think it makes sense to worry about dodgy ebuilds. If you go
50 down that road, you would have to rebuild *everything* every time
51 there is a change ... just in case. Dodgy ebuilds should be fixed, not
52 catered to.