From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage option "--changed-use" not working?
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:28:34
1 On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:00:52 -0600
2 »Q« <boxcars@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:06:22 +0000
5 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 >
7 > > I suspect this is
8 > > specific to the KDE ebuilds (or eclass). changed-use should only
9 > > skip an ebuild with changed flags if re-emerging would produce
10 > > exactly the same code as before, this may not be the case. For
11 > > example, in some ebuilds, it is the absence of a USE flag that
12 > > triggers an extra configure option, so removing that use flag would
13 > > give the same code as if the package had been emerged with it
14 > > enabled.
15 > >
16 > > Something like this happened recently with the nls flag on glibc.
17 >
18 > Ah, that makes sense -- thanks. (And now I wish I'd read the entire
19 > thread in dev before I posted a few minutes ago.)
20 >
21 > IMO, the man page's section on --changed-use should say what you've
22 > just said rather than what it says now.
23
24 I saw the logs from the kde team meeting where they discussed removing
25 kdeenablefinal and decided when to do it. My own update on that ran
26 overnight so I wasn't too fazed.
27
28 But is this not a case where the kde eclass *explictly* set the USE
29 flag off? (Disclaimer: haven't read the eclass). In that case portage
30 would not know what to do when the flag goes away so the behaviour we
31 saw would not really be a bug, it would be "playing safe"
32
33 --changed-use is intended for cases like a flag you are not using at
34 all goes away. Caveat: Even then it could still break in subtle ways
35 with dodgy ebuilds. Caveat emptor.
40 Alan McKinnnon
41 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com