From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI kernel installation?
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 07:55:20
1 On Saturday, 15 June 2019 16:22:50 BST Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 15 June 2019 14:04:16 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Hello list,
4 > >
5 > > The main system on this box is ~amd64 plasma, but I also have a small
6 > > rescue system which is amd64, no desktop. I use bootctl from systemd-boot
7 > > to manage the UEFI images.
8 > >
9 > > My question is: how much of the bootctl-installed image is essential for
10 > > booting? In other words, if I install the ~amd64 kernel (5.1.9), what
11 > > effect will that have on booting the rescue system; and if I install the
12 > > amd64 kernel (4.19.44), what effect will it have on booting the plasma
13 > > system?
14 > >
15 > > In practice, I install the ~amd64 kernel and hope it doesn't affect the
16 > > rescue system too much; and it seems not to. Could I do better?
17 >
18 > Assuming I've understood correctly your question, since this is the same box
19 > and both kernels will be booting the same hardware, with similar modules,
20 > it shouldn't make any odds what OS installation you decide to boot into
21 > with any of two given kernels.
22
23 Let's that's right hope. Thanks Mick.
26 Regards,
27 Peter.