From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo as a xen guest
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 12:53:21
1 On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 6:05 AM, hw <hw@×××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I'm installing Gentoo as a xen PV guest. Do I need to install a bootloader
6 > like grub, or should I rather just specify the kernel to boot in the
7 > definition file of the guest? If I do the latter, what about the kernel
8 > command line?
9 >
10 > Is there anything I should consider? The host is also running Gentoo.
13 You can do either. I suspect it would be easier to just use grub. I
14 don't know if xen provides a way to provide a command-line, if not you
15 could build a default command-line into your kernel.
16
17 I haven't messed with it recently, but some of my docs on running
18 Gentoo on EC2 might be useful, since EC2 is ultimately running xen
19 guests. Other than using the right kernel settings for xen support in
20 your guest there really isn't much needed to get it working with
21 Gentoo. Most of my write-ups were about the Amazon process (creating
22 disk images, configuring grub.cfg for Amazon's grub and device
23 numbering, etc).
26 Rich