From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo as a xen guest
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 13:22:37
1 On 24 September 2015 14:53:07 CEST, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 6:05 AM, hw <hw@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I'm installing Gentoo as a xen PV guest. Do I need to install a
7 >bootloader
8 >> like grub, or should I rather just specify the kernel to boot in the
9 >> definition file of the guest? If I do the latter, what about the
10 >kernel
11 >> command line?
12 >>
13 >> Is there anything I should consider? The host is also running
14 >Gentoo.
17 >You can do either. I suspect it would be easier to just use grub. I
18 >don't know if xen provides a way to provide a command-line, if not you
19 >could build a default command-line into your kernel.
20
21 For PV, grub is actually more work to get working. There is a config option for the commandline.
22 I will send one of mine later today.
23
24 >I haven't messed with it recently, but some of my docs on running
25 >Gentoo on EC2 might be useful, since EC2 is ultimately running xen
26 >guests. Other than using the right kernel settings for xen support in
27 >your guest there really isn't much needed to get it working with
28 >Gentoo. Most of my write-ups were about the Amazon process (creating
29 >disk images, configuring grub.cfg for Amazon's grub and device
30 >numbering, etc).
31
32 Does EC2 actually provide PV guests?
33 With PV, the guest knows it's a guest and communicates with Xen. Non-PV has an emulation layer (qemu) running on the host that hides the virtualisation from the guest.
34 Special drivers on the guest can help with performance, but isn't necessary to get it to work.
37 Joost
41 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.