From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo as a xen guest
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 13:45:22
1 On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 9:22 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > For PV, grub is actually more work to get working. There is a config option for the commandline.
4 > I will send one of mine later today.
5
6 I can believe that. My only experience is with Amazon, which doesn't
7 give you any control over the host xen. It just runs grub with a
8 grub.cfg you provide if you want to run your own kernel (unless that
9 has changed).
12 > Does EC2 actually provide PV guests?
13 > With PV, the guest knows it's a guest and communicates with Xen. Non-PV has an emulation layer (qemu) running on the host that hides the virtualisation from the guest.
14 > Special drivers on the guest can help with performance, but isn't necessary to get it to work.
15
16 I believe that EC2 ONLY provides PV guests. I don't believe it will
17 do full virtualization for linux guests. They do provide windows
18 guests, and I'm not sure of the details of how that is done. If you
19 want to run a linux guest you either use one of their kernels, or you
20 can run your own as long as it supports Xen PV.
23 Rich