From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo as a xen guest
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 13:50:53
1 On Thursday, September 24, 2015 09:45:09 AM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 9:22 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > For PV, grub is actually more work to get working. There is a config
4 > > option for the commandline. I will send one of mine later today.
5
6 Please see email from Håkon Alstadheim for the example.
7
8 > I can believe that. My only experience is with Amazon, which doesn't
9 > give you any control over the host xen. It just runs grub with a
10 > grub.cfg you provide if you want to run your own kernel (unless that
11 > has changed).
12
13 Sounds like pvgrub. I never looked into setting that up, afaiui, it mounts the
14 guest filesystem, grabs the grub.cfg, grabs the kernel listed there, umounts,
15 then boots the guest.
16
17 > > Does EC2 actually provide PV guests?
18 > > With PV, the guest knows it's a guest and communicates with Xen. Non-PV
19 > > has an emulation layer (qemu) running on the host that hides the
20 > > virtualisation from the guest. Special drivers on the guest can help with
21 > > performance, but isn't necessary to get it to work.
22 > I believe that EC2 ONLY provides PV guests. I don't believe it will
23 > do full virtualization for linux guests. They do provide windows
24 > guests, and I'm not sure of the details of how that is done. If you
25 > want to run a linux guest you either use one of their kernels, or you
26 > can run your own as long as it supports Xen PV.
27
28 Windows guests will run in PVH mode as I doubt Microsoft has a PV-enabled
29 kernel available for Amazon :)
32 Joost