From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] world favorites: pros and cons
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 19:08:25
1 Richard Fish wrote:
4 > Not if you use --deep on your updates. Then dependancies are also
5 > considered for updates. Some people here will tell you that --deep is
6 > troublesome, but I am not one of them, and it seems like what you want
7 > to do.
8
9 Then what is the purpose of:
10 "emerge --update world" w/o "--deep"?
14 > There are 2 "problems" with --depclean:
15 >
16 --snip
17 > IMO neither of the above 'problems' are particularly serious, or a
18 > good reason to add every dependancy to world.
19
20 Well, this means that one has to manually handle things as well as in
21 the way I deal with packages, right? ;-)
24 >> No, no! I'm saying just the opposite - the more packages you have
25 >> recorded in the world list, the slower scanning you get.
26 >
27 > Yeah, well, I don't necessarily believe the reverse either! :-)
30 Well, I have a Pentium 2 @ 400MHz with 128MB RAM. I use it as a router
31 and prefer not to even remember of its existence. :)
32 Let's say once a week I update it, but it has only the base system plus
33 iptables qmail and squid installed.
34
35 My desktop is an Athlnon XP 1700+ (working at 1.9GHz), 512MB RAM.
36
37 Compared to it, the router checks for updates about 2 times faster.
38 I can't be precise, but if you insist I could do a "time emerge -pvuDN
39 world" on both of them and send the results.
40
41 The router world file has 90 lines, the desktop world file has 751
42 lines. ;-)
47 Best regards,
48 Daniel
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list