From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] world favorites: pros and cons
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 19:55:32
1 On 7/5/06, Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Then what is the purpose of:
3 > "emerge --update world" w/o "--deep"?
4
5 To update only the packages in world, without updating dependancies.
6 As I think I mentioned, some people do not like using --deep, because
7 they don't necessarily want to update all libraries to the latest
8 available version for fear of introducing instability/bugs into their
9 systems. So they *may* want to update to the latest firefox, but that
10 doesn't mean they want the latest gtk+ libraries as well. Presumably
11 they also monitor the GLSA channels to make sure they don't miss
12 important security updates...
13
14 > Well, this means that one has to manually handle things as well as in
15 > the way I deal with packages, right? ;-)
16
17 Well, yes, but only for the few things that you really care about, not
18 the entire system. And why --depclean should always be run with
19 --pretend first.
20
21 > Compared to it, the router checks for updates about 2 times faster.
22 > I can't be precise, but if you insist I could do a "time emerge -pvuDN
23 > world" on both of them and send the results.
24
25 Ok, but that is for two completely different systems with different
26 sets of packages installed. It doesn't tell us whether the time is a
27 function of the total number of packages that are installed, or the
28 number of things listed in world. The question is, if your athlon
29 didn't have any dependancies in world, would the update check run
30 faster or slower? I don't _actually_ care about the answer, I'm just
31 pointing out that comparing the performance of systems with different
32 sets of packages installed isn't a good way to test how the
33 performance of portage relates to the size of the world file.
34
35 -Richard
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list