From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail2 - I have not given up ... yet
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 20:03:41
1 On Tuesday 29 Dec 2015 17:37:25 lee wrote:
2
3 > Are we at the point where users are accepting to have to install and
4 > maintain a fully fledged RDBMS just for a single application which
5 > doesn't even need a database in the first place?
6
7 Yes, a sad state of affairs indeed. I was hoping for the last 5-6 years that
8 someone who can code would come to their senses with this application and
9 agree that not all desktop application use cases require some enterprise level
10 database back end architecture, when a few flat data files have served most
11 users perfectly fine for years. I mean, do I *really* need a database for
12 less that 60 entries in my address book?!!
13
14 I can stick with Kmail-1 until circumstances force a change upon me, or I can
15 try once more to migrate to it now (previous attempts failed for various
16 reasons). The only reason I am having a go at it again during my holidays, is
17 because I don't want to have to try a forced migration in the middle of some
18 other crisis during a working week.
21 > Quite a few times I've been thinking it would be nice to have a database
22 > to implement a particular feature for an application, and I've always
23 > decided not to do it because it seems to be a totally unreasonable
24 > requirement, and because it seems rather unlikely that any user would be
25 > willing to do it. It would make some sense if an RDBMS were a
26 > requirement already, used by all kinds of software --- though I'm
27 > finding it very questionable if we should go there (and find ourselves
28 > with a single point of failure and bottleneck).
29
30 You are wise and evidently not affected by the EU project which funded all
31 this semantic KDE desktop PoC exercise, that foisted the akonadi on us as if
32 it was the best thing a desktop would ever need ... madness!
33
34 Perhaps this was Europe's response to the MSWindows desktop monopoly in the
35 enterprise sector, but IMHO they started too late and ended up fighting the
36 wars of the previous decade.
39 > A MUA must be doing something very wrong to have such a requirement.
40 > And what kind of performance can you expect with a laptop that has only
41 > 4GB and is already overloaded with KDE?
42
43 I don't actually run the full KDE desktop. I run e17 with some KDE apps, like
44 Kmail. Kmail has been and still is the best mail client for my needs and
45 habits.
48 Regards,
49 Mick