From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail2 - I have not given up ... yet
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 18:36:46
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Tuesday 29 Dec 2015 14:18:20 J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >
5 >> sqlite is nice, for single threaded applications.
6 >> For anything more advanced, either a wrapper is required or something more
7 >> advanced needs to be used.
8 >
9 > I like sqlite because it is self-contained, embedded in the application that
10 > uses it and accesses the data directly with functional calls, rather than
11 > looping around port/socket interfaces to speak to a server. This is why I
12 > kept it, since with Kmail1 it is not used much.
13 >
14 > With Kmail2 the database will be hammered so as you say will need something
15 > that can process things in parallel at speed and in higher volumes. So, I'm
16 > planning to install postgresql for this purpose, since in my experience mysql
17 > has had a number of hickups with akonadi.
18
19 Are we at the point where users are accepting to have to install and
20 maintain a fully fledged RDBMS just for a single application which
21 doesn't even need a database in the first place?
22
23 Quite a few times I've been thinking it would be nice to have a database
24 to implement a particular feature for an application, and I've always
25 decided not to do it because it seems to be a totally unreasonable
26 requirement, and because it seems rather unlikely that any user would be
27 willing to do it. It would make some sense if an RDBMS were a
28 requirement already, used by all kinds of software --- though I'm
29 finding it very questionable if we should go there (and find ourselves
30 with a single point of failure and bottleneck).
31
32 A MUA must be doing something very wrong to have such a requirement.
33 And what kind of performance can you expect with a laptop that has only
34 4GB and is already overloaded with KDE?