From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ryzen and c-state poweroffs?
Date: Sat, 04 May 2019 07:34:28
1 Hi Chris,
2
3 On Friday, 3 May 2019 17:54:52 BST Jack wrote:
4 > On 2019.05.03 12:28, Spackman, Chris wrote:
5 > > All,
6 > >
7 > > I set up a new AMD computer (moved disk from previous Intel
8 > > computer). After some struggles with bios settings, I got it to boot
9 > > properly and updated for the new hardware. All seemed fine, but then
10 > > it
11 > > started "crashing" when left alone. From Googling, it seems that it
12 > > has
13 > > something to do with the bios powering down drives that aren't in use,
14 > > but then not being able to power them back up.
15 > >
16 > > When it "crashes" (goes into a coma?), I have to use the power button
18 > > turn it off and then back on. As it starts up, the root partition is
19 > > clean, but home has to be recovered - which seems to indicate that it
20 > > is
21 > > indeed an issue with the mobo/bios turning off the root drive.
22 > >
23 > > I found a Linux site that suggested this line in dmesg as a symptom:
24 > > > [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)
25 > >
26 > > The solution was to turn of C-states in the bios. I forget the exact
27 > > wording right now, but I could not find it in my bios. I tried to
28 > > turn off
29 > > everything that seemed related to power saving, but several did not
30 > > have
31 > > an "off" option. So, I am still getting the error.
32 > >
33 > > For now, I set up a cron job to move a file from /root to /tmp every
34 > > 15
35 > > minutes. This seems to work, but it is obviously not a long term
36 > > solution.
37 > >
38 > > I checked for a bios update, but there was not one available.
39 > >
40 > > Has anyone else experienced this? Is there maybe a /sys/ or /proc/
41 > > file
42 > > I can tweak to avoid bios powering things off?
43 > >
44 > > Thanks.
45 >
46 > It's only a guess, but I'd suggest looking through the kernel docs to
47 > see if there is any boot command line parameter that might do this.
48 >
49 > Jack
50
51 Did you try Ctrl+Alt+SysRq + R,E,I,S,U,B to reboot it more gracefully rather
52 than pressing the power button?
53
54 Regarding kernel parameters, you could try:
55
56 idle=nomwait
57
58 since dmesg indicates there's something wrong with it and hope a future
59 firmware release will address this bug.
60 --
61 Regards,
62 Mick